Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The New Rhythm Book - Don Ellis


So I finally got my hands on this long lost 'manual' aka work of brilliance. I'm so infatuated with Don Ellis I can't help it and yes he would be my 80 yr old husband if he were still alive, but he's not.

This book wants you to play odd meters with ease. Mr. Ellis found that trying to teach his band odd meters was challenging no matter the proficiency of the musician. This is how this book was born. It covers: Historical Background, Basic & Advanced Concepts, Indian Ways of Learning New Meters, Balkan Meters and more. I will be taking these concepts and approaches step by step and report on it. But I can tell you so far the Indian way of counting is uncomfortable to me - I prefer conducting, but more on that later.

Ta Ka Di Mi, Ta Ka, Ta Ka, Ta Ki Ta, Ta Ka,
-BetZe13
OddTimeObsessed.com Tune in

.

9 comments:

andy said...

I'd love to see a copy of that. I wish there were more tracks around like 'Bulgarian Bulge'.

Talking of which - isn't it time for a post on Bulgarian rhythmic craziness? Surely any culture that counts 9 as 4+3+2 is one that needs to be saluted!

BetZe13 said...

Well I'd love to show you my copy, its pretty cool...
And yes, thats a great idea, Bulgarian salute coming right up, just after I get some other babble out of the way...

Unknown said...

Do you know where one could find a copy? I'm playing Pussywiggle Stomp and thinking that this book would be extremely helpful.

Rod Williams said...

Where can I get this book?

BetZe13 said...

Roddo - I am not sure where you can get a copy of this. They should re-publish it though. When I find out will let you know..

BetZe

Anonymous said...

Try finding a copy through inter library loan. I got one that way and scanned it. Got hold of the record album that goes with it as well (sort of like one of the Aebersold albums).

Enrique said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Enrique said...

I've been googling and that book is nowhere to be found. Anyone can scan it? Here in South America is hard to find a good music library. Please have mercy on me!

The Mystic said...

Cool blog. I will have to try the inter-library loan path I think. It's nice to find someone who is very interested in Don Ellis' band. He has two other books I believe. The one I can think of on top of my head is Quarter-Tones. It's amazing to me that Ellis redefines both time and harmony in his music.