Thursday, July 5, 2012

Obsessing 7 with Gentle Giant - Black Cat

Forty one years ago this juicy prog-ness was bestowed to the underground astute musical masses. Back then, odd meter was more in vogue, or I should say hip, going by their own riffs.

As you can see, the transcription begins with 7/8 and if you would like to see all of the pages the link is available in the notes on youtube. The majority of the song is in 7 with breaks in 3,4,5 & 6. The transcription is from an eighth note point of view, but I feel it more as quarter notes. This is where it might get tricky - is it 7/8 or 7/4? I say 7/4. Why? Because first and foremost is the feel. We can start with the tempo, how fast does it feel? Well at first listen I would say moderate, its actually 114 bpm. So does a quarter note equal 114 bpm (7/4) or an eighth note equal 114 bpm (7/8)? This subject I would say is slightly subjective. So I hear it as moderate tempo, so would call it then 7/4. But really whats more important here is the cool cat bass line...


Sevenly,
BetZe13
OddTimeObsessed.com Tune in


.

No comments: