Thursday, October 6, 2011

Who Knew Pt. V - I Say a Little Prayer for You

In 1967 Burt Bacharach, Dionne Warwick & Hal David wrote this hit "I Say a Little Prayer for You" and in their hippy hit making process this trio happen to stick a bar of 10/4 into the verses (every one of them) and .... and... yup there is more... a bar of 11/4 in the choruses (everyone of those too). Whahooo, I wish the hit makers these days weren't so oddmeteriteaphobes.

For a good twenty or so years I have been listening to this song without the meter use dawning on me. Who knew? Well I am sure many of you astute listeners have figured this Motown oddness out a long time ago, like Azna, a listener who just gave me this hint today. If it wasn't for her who knows if I would have ever noticed. Thanks Azna! I love when you guys shake me up like that.

My favorite version is with Ms. Franklin (check out the choreography, and I wish I could check out the band).



Verse 4/4, 4/4, 10/4 (4+2+4), 4/4, 4/4
Chorus 11/4 (4+3+4)
Bridge 4/4, 8/4 (6+2)

I say a little ODDness for you,
BetZe13
Odd Time Obsessed Tune in

.

No comments: